Attending the first Australian QBO Connect Conference in Sydney was definitely an exciting event.
Rove McManus always the character was missing his socks! He found them later but I got this great shot of him without them……
The technology available today that will be integrated in the future into QBO is quite simply amazing. In just a few minutes by voice recognition into your mobile app you will have added a new customer, created an invoice, organised the delivery schedule, checked how much Gross Profit you are making on the sale and be able to search other suppliers to see if you can make more profit, if you cannot fund the monies for the upfront payment you will be able to check for finance, speak to your trusted advisor and have this all organised in the matter of say 5-10 mins. This is absolutely revolutionary and I cannot wait for this technology.
I met the Frazer sisters from the Block and their message was that you will get knockbacks but your drive will keep you going. I totally agree with this point and that was that you need to be passionate about what you do and you need to question yourself about whether you will be happy in 5 years doing this. You need to have good staff.
Melody Shiue from mPort said that the 3 Cs were important: Cost, Consumers, Communication.
Also if you have staff, you should take the ‘boss’ out of the title and be part of the team (That is what I definitely believe with my team). It is also important to keep up to date and read lots of info to stay ahead in your industry. Ultimately to drive your business you need Passion and Perseverance…………….
Mick Spencer from OntheGo Sports explained that there were lots of challenges in growing a business. He explained about the 4Ps Purpose, People, Planet and Profit. Try and find suppliers and partners that are the right fit with you. His brand is focused on delivery in full, trust, dependability and to do what they say.
Steve Baxter from Shark Tank was interviewed by Rove McManus on stage and they were hilarious. Steve made a valuable suggestion that was to that never listen to an opinion unless it is from a customer.
Michelle Bridges even managed to have everyone in the room doing squats. I thought that was quite an achievement Her philosophy of JUST DO IT is so true. As Michelle said sometimes we do need to just do it and then plan for it, you need to work out what is holding you back and then overcome it. This is not only in exercising this is across all facets of our lives.
Overall it was a great day. It totally reinforced my ideals and beliefs that I have for business and that the future is a very exciting place!!
The new year has started and it’s time to start working ON your business!!
For me January always brings a fresh start and I think about new ideas to implement.
In my business I always set aside a day with my team (on a regular basis) to spend working ON the business.
Business owners spend so much time working IN it they don’t realise the importance of what a planning day can have to the entire year.
Here are 10 tips that you can follow:
- Always set an Agenda – as it is easy to forget important items that you want to address.
- Set goals!! – What do you want to achieve this year?
- List items that worked well last year- Ask why these ideas succeeded? What did you do right? Was it pricing? Was it because it was something no-one else did? Or was it because you had so much passion behind it that you found it easy to implement?
- List items that didn’t work so well- You need to look at why these ideas failed and whether or not they can be improved on and kept on the plan for this year.
- Start listing ideas that are in line with your goals and what you want to achieve next? These new ideas need to have a time frame applied next to them.- How long would it take to implement Idea A versus Idea B- Time frame can be 1 week, 6 months etc dependant on how much research or development time it took?
- When you think about the business does anything require attention? It is important to address issues that you may have not had the time to think about during the year. This could be you current premises that you rent. Are you at the end of the lease? Does this premise still tick the boxes or have you outgrown it? Do you need to downsize? Are you a retail business and location is everything
- Are you holding back? What and why are you holding back
- Are you running the business at full potential? It is so easy to get side tracked and avoid the questions.
- Cash flow- Are you getting paid on time? Do you have money to pay your bills?
- Any ideas or problems you have do you need further advice and training? Remember as your business grows it is very difficult to do everything well and that means you may require more staff or outsource?
These 10 items will help you set up a great planning day. Bring in your trusted team and enjoy yourselves brainstorming and make this year your best year yet!!
Need any help… AboveBAS is able to provide you with the support you need in your back office and to you as a business! Just contact us to organise your free check up!
AboveBAS also offers Business Guidance (a helping hand for your business journey). As well as Bookkeeping & BAS Agent services.
#planning #agenda #bookkeeping #consulting #business #businessguide #mentor #2017
Recently I attended the Australian Bookkeepers Network Conference and I felt inspired.
The conference commenced with the inspiring Paul Dunn: Buy1Give1
“The power of any idea is only ever in its implementation. There has never been a time to matter more”
“Know WHY you know WHAT you are doing it then has more impact”
These words were amazing and powerful to all.
This is not just for business owners. This applies to everybody. Do you know why you get up in the morning to do what you do. Paul made us record these words:
“I get up in the morning………so that………..!”
Isn’t that so powerful!!
Then the Australian Tax Office Colin Walker spoke about the future of Single Touch Payroll- imagine no Payment Summaries and no Tax File Number declarations. Every time a payrun happened the information would be sent to the ATO.
“Single touch payroll is the beginning of the new world”
Simplified BAS system by 1/7/17 businesses under 10 million only having to lodge GST on Sales, GST on Purchases and Total Sales. The impact on business will be huge. The owner’s of the business could concentrate and spend more time with their trusted advisors like us with looking at valuable reports and on how to improve their business.
The presentation on Trading Structures was given by Darren Hagarty. And so the question comes to mind: Are you trading under the best structure for your business and family?
Sole Trader- Partnership-Trust-Company are the most common structures.
Business owners need to remember that accounts are organised differently for each structure. It is not a one size fits all approach.
We were also able to see and spend time with representatives from our software providers such as Xero, MYOB and Intuit.
To top of the day we were introduced to the #ABNorangedude. You might have have come across my one in Darling Harbour, Sydney.
Thank you Australian Bookkeepers Network for a wonderful conference and lots of information to take home and share. It was a great opportunity to network with like minded people and develop a strong support network for the industry.